Saturday 7 May 2016

Luscious Lilou

When I bought Tilly and the Buttons Love at First Stitch Lilou was top of my sewing list. However, over time I've made everything in the book but this gorgeous dress. As summer is approaching I decided to dive in!
It's made in a drapey cotton rayon so I made the gathered skirt version rather than the pleated version. The dress is lined and as I'm trying to sew using my stash rather than buying new fabric I lined in the same fabric. I do slightly regret this decision and think a pink inside would have been so girly and gorgeous with the hearts.

As ever Tilly's instructions were absolutely fabulous. I think her instructions are the most comprehensive of all the independent sewing labels. She really does hold your hand throughout the project. I didn't make any alterations to the pattern or construction. When I make it again, I will definitely lengthen it though as I feel that it's slightly too short on me.

Fit wise I altered it only at the end when inserting the zip and took it in slightly. It has a loose fit still but I like it. It makes it feel relaxed and easy to wear.
The drapey fabric gives it such a lovely swish when you move!

I always have trouble with rayon hems. Despite leaving the hem to fall it always seems to grow wherever I have joined two fabrics together. Because of this, I ended up re hemming it, but I think it's dropped again! Any ideas for how to stop this?

Happy stitching! x

4 comments:

  1. I love your Lilou. Perfect for this weather x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Catherine. It's certainly got a lot of use already x

      Delete
  2. Lovely dress! Looks so effortlessly chic and cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Randi. It gets plenty of wear.

      Delete