Sunday 22 May 2016

Ralph Pink Prilla Dress

I have been super excited to sew a Ralph Pink design after my friend introduced me to his patterns a few weeks ago and I certainly wasn't disappointed!

I decided to start with one of his most simple projects, the Prilla Dress. Which is a jersey full circle dress. I made it using jersey from Minerva crafts which had a nice weight for the dress and it must have taken me no longer than two hours to cut and sew! The hardest part was putting the PDF pattern together which wasn't quite as straight forward as others I have made.

Although the pattern is labelled as a dress it is certainly not a dress on either me or the model (who also wears it with skinny jeans). It would need some serious lengthening to make it a dress but I like it as a top anyway!
The construction was really straightforward and I made it almost entirely on the overlocker. I did use my walking foot to make sure that it wasn't stretching so much that I could see the overlocking stitches.

My only drama occurred when I attached the full circle skirt only to overlock a hole in it! Luckily it wasn't too far from the seam so I sewed around it again and caught it into the seam.

The full circle gives the top lots of movement...
The only construction detail I'm not happy with is that Ralph Pink leaves the hem unfinished. I know I want to hem it but I'm also no sure how. Has anyone used jersey bias binding? Or do you have any other ideas for how to hem the top?

Happy stitching x

4 comments:

  1. I overlock the raw edge then turn inside once and either zig zag, or straight stitch with a double needle. It's pretty simple to do, and you can hem at different lengths too.

    ReplyDelete