Sunday, 13 November 2016

Pattern Testing- Megan Nielsen Karri Dress

I was lucky to be chosen to pattern test one of Megan Nielsen's new patterns the Karri dress. It feels like such a long time ago that I made it which is a true testament to all the hard work which goes into designing a new pattern.

The instructions have been tweaked since making this dress but they were beautifully easy to use even in their draft form. The pattern is so well thought out and includes a design page in which you can experiment with the beautiful lines of the dress and also ideas for tweaking the dress such as by including piping (an option I was seduced into using).

This dress has some gorgeous design details including pockets, a multi-panelled front with princess seams and is also fully lined so there's plenty to get your teeth into! Because of all these details it's certainly not a quick make but sometimes it's nice to take time over a longer project.

Alteration wise I needed to take 2cm out of the bodice which is an unusual one for me. I also needed to take it in slightly at the bust which is an alteration I frequently make.

I decided to add piping to some of the design lines. I haven't used piping before and it definitely made my life more difficult as I tried to navigate pattern matching the gingham!

The pockets are a lovely feature, after all who doesn't love pockets in a dress.
I lined the dress in a bright blue which is a nice contrast to the monochrome gingham.
I really like the pattern especially how versatile it is. You could have so much fun experimenting with the multi-panel body and I've no doubt I'm going to be impressed with the creativity it will inspire.

Happy stitching x