Monday 11 April 2016

Named Pattern Loudes

I was really excited to start making the Named Pattern Lourdes as it was my first proper step into outerwear. I made it in a polka dot wool which was bought from Walthamstow market from the man outside Sainsbury's and lined it in a cotton from Backstitch.

Sadly, I made a humongous error before I had even made one stitch. I measured myself using the guidelines on the pattern then decided to completely ignore the sizing and make the size up! I'd like to say that it was my first time making this error, but it's far from it.

To combat the sizing issue I had to take it apart when it was near completion. I heavily increased the size of the inverted pleat at the back and reduced the size of the arms and side seams. All of this resulted in a completely different shape to the jacket than the original design. It's not that I don't like the flared shape but I still can't shake the feeling that it's just not right!

The instructions were comprehensive the whole way through and made the construction straight forward and easier than I anticipated.

The fabric I used was reversible so I used the purple side for the facing which I think adds a nice touch to the inside.

I love the detail on the back of the cuffs...it's so pretty!

My machine couldn't make the button holes as the fabric was too thick. I borrowed my mum's machine for the job which is a slightly better model but it still struggled and they're far from perfect up close. The buttons are a gold/bronze colour and were purchased from John Lewis. I wasn't sure about them when I sewed them on but they're growing on me.

All in all I'm pleased with it but I definitely see it as a wearable toile and I will certainly be making another.

Happy sewing x

No comments:

Post a Comment