Wednesday 6 April 2016

Fabric shopping in Walthamstow

This week is my Easter holiday and I thought it would be nice to kick start it with a bit of fabric shopping at Walthamstow Market. I buy fabric from lots of different places but quite a large amount comes from Walthmstow.

The market is located in North London, there is a tube station about a 5 minute walk from the market itself so it's not too difficult to get to if you're North of London. It really is worth a visit as the market is an absolute treasure trove of fabric which is all priced amazingly! It's rare to pay over £5 a meter with most fabric approximately £2.50 a meter.

Walthamsow market has a large number of stalls and shops which sell a range of fabric. There is a man outside Sainsburys and a lady slightly further down (Maynards Fabrics) who are definitely the highlight of the market. If you choose to visit it's worth coming with an open mind. It's not the place to go if you are looking for something specific but it is particularly good for drapey fabrics and wools. There are also a couple of haberdasheries which are very good value for zips.

This is my haul from the market...

First of all is this rather beautiful sand washed silk which I intend to make a Named pattern Inari tee dress. It's much darker in real life and has a gorgeous drape to it.
I also bought this rather gorgeous cotton lawn with a repeating floral pattern which I think I will use for a top of some sorts.
Next up are a couple of rayon/cotton mixes which I haven't quite decided what to do with yet! Any ideas?
I also bought a couple more drapey fabrics but I'm not too sure what they're made of.
I also picked up a couple of pieces of sweatshirt fabric to make a few more Lindens. I would like to free motion embroider on one if I can manage to get my machine to play along!
Last of all I am absolutely in love with the next fabric which I think I will make into a top with a yoke top and a bottom lined with a grey fabric.
As you can imagine, by stash is now bulging! If you do go to Walthamstow market I hope that you have a fabulous time! Also any suggestions for any of the fabrics I have bought will be welcomely received! Happy sewing x

3 comments:

  1. Wow loads of nice fabric. Think I will have to check Walthamstow market out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Catherine, it's definitely worth a visit! X

      Delete
  2. Wow loads of nice fabric. Think I will have to check Walthamstow market out!

    ReplyDelete