Thursday 18 February 2016

Simplicity cape 8017

This week I have been busy making my first piece of outerwear and I am in love! I'd go as far as to say that it's my favourite item of clothing I have ever made.
I made the cape using a wool merino mix fabric from the man outside Sainsbury's at Walthamstow Market. I made no alterations to the fit or construction and found that it all went together beautifully. The pattern has pockets on the front but I decided not to include these.
I decided to make a velvet bow to put onto the front of the cape, it is stitched one side then fastens using poppers on the other side. I have to admit this is not an original idea and was inspired by a Kate Spade cape I've had my eye on! The cape is fully lined which means no overlocking! Hooray! I originally decided to line it in a silk mix fabric but I just couldn't get it to behave itself so I decided to use the rest of a rather gorgeous piece of Liberty Tana Lawn I bought from Abakan.
This will definitely get lots of wear in the coming months!

6 comments:

  1. I'm attempting this piece right now, but I'm stuck in the beginning steps thanks to some confusing instructions. It says to "cut 2 on fold" for piece 1 but the illustrations only show it as halves, rather than opened up. Am I supposed to keep them folded in half and sew it together that way? Was I supposed to cut it into 2 pieces on the fold instead of cutting two identical folded pieces? Help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      I have just looked at the cape and I cut all pieces as two individuals rather than on the fold. I hope that helps. Good luck with your cape

      Delete
  2. I just ordered my fabric for cape today. I am so excited to others have used this pattern. I hope mine turns out as nice as your did. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just ordered my fabric for cape today. I am so excited to others have used this pattern. I hope mine turns out as nice as your did. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope that yours turns out well. I'm sure that you will love it!

      Delete
  4. Hi Jess, I am planning on making this for an upcoming trip to Japan in Autumn.... I am looking at options and thinking about trying to make it reversible with cord on one side and velveteen on the other. Could I maybe maybe see a photo of the clock inside out to see how it would reversed, or having made it do you think that would be do-able??
    Thanks so much for any advice!

    ReplyDelete