Sunday 15 November 2015

Beautiful Betty

I have had this beautiful wool fabric and the Sew Over It Betty dress pattern in my stash for a while. It wasn't until the weather began to turn that I decided it was the time to get sewing. I'm so glad I did because I am completely and utterly in love with this dress!
I made the dress in a light link wool which I bought from Sew Over It. I can't take credit for the fabric choice, I decided to make it after seeing this dress in the Sew Over It Islington shop. I don't think I would have felt confident in making it in wool unless I had seen it made up.
The style of the dress is gorgeous with a fitted bodice, full circle skirt and a V-neck back. The combination just makes me feel so special. A gorgeous full circle like this one is just asking to be twirled...
The construction was easy and the instructions were, as always from Sew Over It, very clear to follow. I had a little bit of trouble with the zip, which was more difficult to insert due to the bulky fabric.

As it was made in wool I decided to line the bodice to ensure that it didn't feel scratchy at all. I love the combination of the strawberry fabric with the wool.
I have always found curved hems difficult to hem, ending up with ugly pulling until I made the Deer and Doe Datura and discovered using bias binding. As I loved this dress so much I decided to take the time to make my own bias binding using the lining and I love the effect. It just makes it feel that bit special and little touches like these make handmade clothes feel so special.
I absolutely cannot wait for a special occasion to wear Betty!

2 comments:

  1. Tres chic, and you look a doll in it! I love the bias hem finish, looks so pretty and professionally done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Such a wonderful compliment! 😍

      Delete