Saturday 31 October 2015

Sew Over It Box Pleat Skirt

A few months ago, for my birthday, I was bought Lisa Comfort's Sew Over It: Vintage. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it but I avoided using it due to the self drafting element of the book.
After taking a few deep breaths I decided to have a go and draft a pattern for the box pleat skirt. The skirt has two box pleats at the front and is gathered at the side to the zip. I used a turquoise rayon which I bought at The Knit and Stitch Show. Once I got my head around the maths behind it all I managed to create a self-drafted pattern. It was a little daunting to then cut into the fabric as I really didn't know if I had made the pattern correctly! However, the drafting went well and it has produced a beautifully fitting skirt. Because it was self drafted I made no alterations at all which was lovely as I find fitting a garment the hardest part of sewing. The instructions were clear and easy to follow but are definitely a little more bare than those on her patterns.
The rayon makes the dress feel floaty and really nice to wear.
The box pleats are sitting quite well and I love how they merge into the gathers.
I decided to keep the skirt long as I think that I could then transition it into summer as well!
I have to say, the waistband looks rather wonky in this photo but I'm hoping that it's just that I'm not standing straight!The construction was unusual at the back, with the zip only being inserted to the bottom of the waist band. I then secured the waist band with two hook and eyes. If I made the skirt again I would either extend the zip to the top of the waistband or extend the waistband over lap and have buttons instead to make a design feature. I will definitely have another go at self drafting and will use the book again! I have got my eye on the 1950s cape. Happy sewing!

7 comments:

  1. superrr !!! beautiful..
    http://ayselmelike.blogspot.com.tr/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute, love the fabric choice. I agree that extending the back band and adding buttons would be a cute design feature, but moving the zip up to the top of the band would slso work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely make some changes for the next one. I always find it hard when you make an object for the first time!

      Delete
  3. I was a little confused with the construction of the back of this skirt too. Did you make another using a button or extending the zip? I haven't actually made mine yet and was wondering which method worked best. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was a little confused with the construction of the back of this skirt too. Did you make another using a button or extending the zip? I haven't actually made mine yet and was wondering which method worked best. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tanya. I made this skirt again recently and it worked much better. When I drafted the pattern I forgot to notch the waistband so when I put the skirt it I didn't have notches to ensure that the band was long enough for the overlap. My second skirt has worked much better when I had these! I made it and put poppers on this time but you could definitely just extend the zip if you preferred.

      Delete