Saturday 12 September 2015

Francoise in scuba cat

What can I say, if a piece of fabric has a cat design, I rarely leave without it! I bought this fabric from Walthamstow for £5 a metre. I had a lot of reservations about it as it's scuba, which I haven't sewn with before so it's been in the stash for a while. I decided to make Tilly and the Buttons Francoise dress as this pattern needs fabric which can hold its shape, which scuba is perfect for. This is a lovely pattern which has French darts and raglan sleeves, which creates a really pretty neckline. There are also lots of options including sleeves, a collar and a front placket. I had some concerns before sewing, thinking that the dress could possibly turn a little 90s teenage angst. But I am absolutely in love with it (even though it is a tad 90s teenage angst)!
I couldn't help but style it with the classic 90s shoe, Dr Martens!
Sadly, I didn't notice when I bought the fabric that it does have some flaws in, however they are small and I'm hoping that they don't really notice to anyone else!
The pattern was a dream to sew with. As ever, Tillys instructions were clear and easy to follow. I made the dress in a size two and didn't need to make any alterations at all to the dress. I decided not to include the placket at the front of the dress, as I thought that the pattern was too busy for this to work and I'm happy with my decision. I will definitely be making a long sleeved version for the impending winter months!
I just couldn't resist a picture with Belle in my cat dress! What are your sewing plans for the weekend?

3 comments:

  1. Really adorable! I find this fabric so easy to work with because there is no fraying and no slipping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really enjoyed sewing with it and you're right, it is lovely not to contend with fraying!

      Delete
  2. Love that look!!

    ReplyDelete